3.01.2014

Fancy a Scone?

So I've made a decision. I'll keep updating on my life situation and such, but I'm going to try more and more to keep this blog normal. it's usual bizarre self, you know?

As of late, my obsessions have been centered around the English life. you know, like the England kind of English. The style, the food, the movies. just. all of it. I live through Pinterest and Notting Hill. Also I've watched Austenland about 6 times this week, not even sorry. it's fine! MOVING ON.

My mom made these "English scones" a whiiiile back, and I find myself craving them like, all the time. so I decided to just make them myself. and it was fun, I tell you! it sounded/looked intimidating, but nay! it was easy as pie. but better than pie.

Heeere is the recipe! (I have no clue what the source is... it's probably from you, huh Debbie?)

You will need:
> 2 C flour
> 1/4 C white sugar
> 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
> 1/4 tsp baking soda
> 1/4 tsp salt
> 1/2 C (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold & cut into pieces
> 1/2 C milk or semi sweet chocolate chips or chunks (don't put in more--- trust me on this)
> 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
> 2/3 cup buttermilk   (a reason I love this recipe is because the only unusual thing is buttermilk!)

Egg wash
> 1 large egg
> 1 Tbs milk

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Cut the butter into small pieces and blend into flour mixture with hand mixer or two knives--- the mixture should look like course crumbs (don't worry, it'll come together fine)
4. Stir in chocolate chips
5. In a measuring cup (or small bowl) whisk together buttermilk & vanilla extract, add to flour mixture.
   >Mix that just until dough comes together (add more buttermilk if necessary) do not over mix!
6. Transfer dough to lightly floured surface, knead dough gently 4 or 5 times, then pat dough into a circle (or oval, whatever you fancy) that is about 7 inches round and 1.5 inches thick.
    Cut that in half, then cut each half into pie-shaped wedges (I just eyeballed mine into wonky-looking pieces, still delicious)
7. place one baking sheet on top of another, and place parchment paper (or just spray) on the top one. this will prevent the bottoms from burning! boom! Place the scones on that.

>>>EGG WASH: mix together egg and milk, brush the tops of the scones with that.
                  I strongly advise you to sprinkle cinnamon sugar, or just sugar on the tops! I just like plain sugar--- course sugar would be the actual best. whatever you feel like, man!

Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. do the toothpick trick.

Remove scones & turn broiler on high, sift powdered sugar on scones, place back in the oven for just a few seconds until sugar has melted and turns golden brown.  Be REALLY careful or it will burn.
this part is optional/ I forgot to do it and they are still reeeeeeal delightful. 

Have fun with this, and it's REALLY OK TO EAT THEM ALL!








1 comment:

  1. did you know that blue plate is my wedding china?!?!? did you take that pic? I love that you are obsessed with all things UK. me too. I looked for Hugh in Heathrow for you , but he didn't show. I do have a lovely little consolation gift for you though, that I'm sure you will like. Yay! The scones look delicious-good job you!

    ReplyDelete