12.08.2013

Mink coats are in, right?


The wintry day, descending to its close,
 
Invites all wearied nature to repose,
 
And shades of night are falling dense and fast,
 
Like sable curtains closing o'er the past.
 
Pale through the gloom the newly fallen snow
 
Wraps in a shroud the silent earth below
 
As tho 'twere mercy's hand had spread the pall,
 
A symbol of forgiveness unto all.

I have been known to drive my car... to the Whiteheads who live 7 houses down. but ironically, I love love LOVE walking down there on these wintry nights. there is nothing more peaceful than a friendly neighborhood on a winter night. It reminds me of my grandpa Ben's favorite hymn, which I probably would have never taken a second look at if my mom hadn't told me it was his favorite. those are the lyrics, up there. The Wintry Day Descending to It's Close.

He was a fan of poetry, among other beautiful things, and I'm guessing that's why he loved this one so much. He died on May 5th 1999. A spring day, that decided to snow a freak snow storm. 
 
I've decided to love winter. It helps that I don't have to face death on the way to Lehi every day. Also, my grandma left behind her mink coat and I have saved it because I KNEW that one day I would use it. and it is now used for keeping me completely and comfortably warm on these winter walks.


No comments:

Post a Comment